Warning about assjedi - updated 19/4/11

A wretched hive of scum and villainy . Gather here to talk about everything else , even non-Star Wars related . Just keep it PG rated please. ;)

Moderators: Paul K, hbng

padawanlearner

Warning about assjedi - updated 19/4/11

Post by padawanlearner » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:59 am

Update: Collected my robe from assjedi on Friday (15 Apr 11).

Update (31 Mar 11): assjedi contacted me yesterday to arrange a meet-up and I collected most of my costume from him this morning. Robe was not there so I've asked him to check and get back to me.

Hi everyone,

I've had a bad experience with assjedi regarding my costume and I'm writing this to warn anyone who's considering lending him their things or dealing with him in other matters.

To summarise this post: Azmi Danuri, i.e. assjedi, borrowed my Jedi costume some time back, never returned it, and has been ignoring my many attempts to contact him to get it back. I still haven't got my costume back. Please read on for more details.

I haven't been active in costuming for a long while, but I started Star Wars costuming in 2002 and own a Jedi costume which I improved on over the years. In early 2009, around April, assjedi contacted me to ask to borrow my costume for a video shoot. I'd known him from various SW costuming events before, so I agreed to lend him what he needed, which was most of my costume. As far as I can remember, these are what he borrowed from me:
  • tailored tunic and obi
  • tailored robe
  • handmade leather Jedi-style belt with Sam Browne-style rivets
  • accessories that go on the belt: 3 handmade pouches (1 large, 2 small), and several handmade 'Jedi food capsules' painted silver and copper
  • brown long-sleeved T-shirt
He soon collected these things from me, and did the video shoot on 12 April 2009.

After that, he never once tried to contact me to return my costume. I was busy with school and other things, and since I had no immediate need for my costume and trusted him to take care of it, it was not a number one priority for me to contact him to get it back (which was a mistake on my part). I emailed and SMSed him about it two or three times but never got a reply.

Last month, on 10 February 2011, I found one of his more recent email addresses online and emailed him to ask him to return me my costume. He promptly emailed me back 15 minutes later and suggested that we meet that coming Sunday afternoon (13 Feb) at *Scape level 4, Grid New Media Studios. I agreed. When I arrived there at around 4.30pm, he was talking to a group of people and I presume he was there for a training session of his lightsaber choreography group. He said he'd forgotten to bring my costume with him. I accepted that reason and asked him to meet me at the MRT station near my home. He suggested Monday evening (14 Feb) around 8+pm, and I agreed.

On Monday, I SMSed him at his current handphone number at 4pm as a reminder, and to tell him to contact me when he was near the MRT station so I could go there to meet him. He did not reply to that message. Come evening, there was still no word from him even by 8.45pm. I sent him an SMS to ask when he would be there. No reply. I gave him time to reply, till 9.30pm, then called him twice. Either the calls rang out or he rejected my calls. In any case, he did not answer. At 9.45pm, I SMSed him yet again, "Are you coming at all?" Still no reply.

Then later that night, he shared a College Humor video on Facebook. So it wasn't that he was too busy with something else that was more important, or that he had no way to contact me, since he didn't email me about it either. He'd simply chosen not to show up.

Over the next week, I sent him several emails, SMSes, and also a Facebook message - 7 messages in all since his no-show. He hasn't replied to any of them. He's active on Facebook, the forums here, and the forums at Movie Mania, and even recently gave out as his contact number the handphone number I've been trying to contact him at. This handphone number is also displayed in his email signature. I don't see any good reason why he hasn't replied at all to any of my messages even now, a month later. Not even to tell me whether he intends to return my costume or not.

Seeing as it's been so difficult just to get a reply from him, I doubt I will get my costume back. Obviously I am not happy about this. It might not be a very grand or expensive costume, but I've had it for many years, spent a good deal of time and effort in making it, and it's seen me through several screenings of a few SW movies, costume parades, the Art of Star Wars exhibition, and so on.

I readily agreed to lend assjedi my Jedi costume free-of-charge, out of goodwill. I guess I was sadly mistaken to assume that I could trust him with my costume just because he's a fellow SW costumer who should understand the value of a costume to its owner.

Furthermore, I have since heard that this is not the only case where he has not returned things, and even money, that he borrowed. I hope this will serve as sufficient warning to others about assjedi.

Azmi, since you have continually refused to communicate with me via more private means, I'm posting this message to you here. I'm sure you're reading this since you're active in these forums, unless you're choosing to deliberately ignore a thread which has your username in its title. It was a favour you asked of me in borrowing my costume. You never tried to contact me to return it before I contacted you. Yet I have been more than accommodating in trying to meet up with you at your convenience so that you can return my costume to me. At this point it's clear to me that you cannot or will not return me my costume, and that you did not simply 'forget' to bring it when I went to meet you that Sunday.

I expected that you, as the self-styled 'Master' of a lightsaber choreography group, would at the very least have the basic courtesy to reply to my repeated attempts to contact you. Or that you would honestly and at the first opportunity tell me if you cannot or do not want to return my costume to me. Instead, it seems that you chose to lie and say that you 'forgot' to bring my costume at the first meet-up, completely failed to show up at the agreed second meet-up without notice or apology, and have been ignoring just about all of my messages.

Still, you are very welcome to prove me wrong by returning my costume to me, in its original condition. I will of course update this post accordingly should you do so.

Cross-posted to the Movie Mania forums.[/b]
Last edited by padawanlearner on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

stanlow

Post by stanlow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:33 pm

"since I had no immediate need for my costume and trusted him to take care of it, it was not a number one priority for me to contact him to get it back (which was a mistake on my part)."

i have to disagree with you. it is not a mistake on your part as it is the responsibility of the borrower to return it himself. He borrowed it and it is his onus, and common courtesy to return it without the lender asking. Certainly not "jedi-like"!

thank you padawanlearner for informing. it was good that you were patient and gave him chance after chance before having to come to such an extent to post a topic like this. But i guess it was the last straw after countless times!
good that you warned the community about this!! 8)
Stanislaus Low- TK 6893
<ButtSweat>
501st Legion
Singapore Garrison

dr34m

Post by dr34m » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Hope you'll get it back soon..

SierraCon

Lightsabers

Post by SierraCon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Those Of u intrested to join Fightsaber Never Bring Back His lightsabers to practice back home !
I find your lack of faith disturbing

The force is strong with this one."

Orion

Post by Orion » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:47 am

assjedi is such an ASS!! :P

Boycott him we must.
The Designer's perspective point of view

Faiz

Post by Faiz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:41 pm

amazing, he's still making headlines i see. glad i don't associate with him anymore.

Clare, i'm really sorry to hear about what happened, did he mention which shoot was it for? just wanna clarify if SEJA was involved or responsible in anyway before he left the team.

padawanlearner

Post by padawanlearner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:59 am

stanlow - I do hope my post will make others think twice before working with assjedi.

Faiz - Other than my costume being used in the shoot, I wasn't involved so I don't know much about it. Azmi did mention that he was borrowing my costume for Sue to wear, and I found out elsewhere that it was a music video shoot for SEJA.

Faiz

Post by Faiz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:16 pm

the failed one.
i see.. well from what i gathered sue didn't wear it, another person did. i can't remember if azmi told me if he had borrowed your set. i feel somewhat responsible though, if i had known, or not trusted him so much i would have reminded him to return. alas i trusted him too much..

lets hope those boys in fightsaber don't experience what we did, coz assjedi really does stay true to his namesake..

assjedi

Post by assjedi » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:16 am

Oh wow.

Firstly, I apologize for not replying to your email(s) dated 15Feb onwards or your PM on Facebook dated 21Feb as I've not checked them since the last I replied to your email as work email is already too much.

I do however reply to FB chats, wall posts and such.

Secondly, I apologize for not picking up your call(s) or replying your text(s) especially on the night of 14Feb as I was still at work and I've had my phone on silent(as i always do when I'm at work). I was at work till about 11:30pm and yes I posted that collegehumor video from work. To be honest, I totally forgot that I'm supposed to be meeting you that night as I was busy with work.

If I never had the intention I would never reply your initial email. I would just ignore your initial email and perhaps even delete it.
If I don't have any intention of returning it to you it wouldn't be nicely sitting in my cupboard all nicely packed up.

For the past 3-4 weeks I've been working Mon-Sun till late everynight esp on Sat/Sun as I have events to shoot for my workplace(Some of the Movie Mania guys should know) and will only truly be free after next week and that is when I'll be able to finally return to you your costume.
"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
"I'm not a Jedi. I'm just a man with a lightsaber... and a few questions.."
http://www.fightsaber.com/

assjedi

Re: Lightsabers

Post by assjedi » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:21 am

SierraCon wrote:Those Of u intrested to join Fightsaber Never Bring Back His lightsabers to practice back home !
Hi Franklin, you're one to say. I lent you my lightsaber for you to practice at home since you don't have a saber at home and you need lotsa practice. After that day in November, I never saw your face or my lightsaber anymore. When I asked you in January, you said you were ordering a new one for me as you broke the lightsaber that I lent you.
"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
"I'm not a Jedi. I'm just a man with a lightsaber... and a few questions.."
http://www.fightsaber.com/

padawanlearner

Post by padawanlearner » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:43 pm

Azmi -

I went to meet you at Grid New Media Studios on 13 Feb, even though I don't live near Orchard and had to arrange my day around that meet-up, because I was aware that you might perhaps be too busy to meet elsewhere. I sent you that first SMS on 14 Feb specifically in the afternoon so that it would also serve as a reminder of the meet-up at night, in case you forgot about it again as you had the day before. I agreed to a flexible meeting time of '8+pm' because we were to meet on a weekday night. Then I waited till 9.30pm before calling you since I thought you might be late because of work. I sent you all those emails and messages over several days, at a rate of one almost every day for a week, at different times of the day, by different methods, precisely because I was making allowances for you having forgotten, not checking your email, or being busy.

I can understand if you are very busy with work. But even if, as you say, you were so busy that you didn't check your email or your Facebook PMs, I'm sure you used your handphone. After all, you gave out your handphone number on your Facebook wall on 19 Feb as a means of directly contacting you. At any time, it would have taken barely a minute to SMS me back to tell me if you were too busy with work to meet me. 2 missed calls and 5 unanswered SMSes in one week should have been more than enough to remind you if you'd actually forgotten.

Within the past few weeks, other than going on Facebook and promoting FightSaber on the forums, you also posted in one of the Movie Mania threads to ask for the return of a lightsaber you lent someone months ago. Yet you did not reply to a single one of my messages asking you to return me my costume which I lent you almost two years ago, not even the messages sent by phone. You only replied after I posted this thread here and at the Movie Mania forums.

Whether or not you indeed intended to return my costume, by forgetting about it and not even replying to my messages, you showed that you were not serious about returning it. Your actions have also shown that it is not important to you whether you inconvenience other people or not.

Anyway. I look forward to receiving my costume after next week. Please email or SMS me to arrange a meet-up.

padawanlearner

Post by padawanlearner » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Also, please state here a date by which you will contact me.

acrylea

Post by acrylea » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:31 pm

haha. as much as i really hope you get it back, it's more likely that he's never going to return it.

Gorakar

Post by Gorakar » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:53 am

I feel for you mate. I wonder how someone as dishonest as this can run a club. Tsk tsk.

padawanlearner

Post by padawanlearner » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:36 pm

Update:

assjedi SMSed me yesterday to arrange a meeting and I collected (most of) my costume from him this morning (31 Mar 11). My robe wasn't in the bag so I've asked him to check his home again.

Thanks, Azmi. Hope to hear from you soon.

Return to “The Mos Eisley Cantina”