<Non-SW Related> Could Use A Little Technical(?) Help

A wretched hive of scum and villainy . Gather here to talk about everything else , even non-Star Wars related . Just keep it PG rated please. ;)

Moderators: Paul K, hbng

Mirador

<Non-SW Related> Could Use A Little Technical(?) Help

Post by Mirador » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:17 pm

So here's the thing that's been bothering me~

I noticed for a couple of weeks that my computer fan has been stopping and then restarting by itself randomly. (I *think* its the CPU fan...well, the LARGE fan that I see right @ the back)

Some of my gaming friends told me it's normal that it shuts itself off when not needed...That's fine, until like around 3 days back it wouldn't even spin at all, not even when I'm running hardware-intensive games. It's unnerving that it first has a mind of its own, then decides to rebel on me.

I kind of poked the fan with a toothpick (Yes I did!) to hopefully nudge it into spinning, no luck.

So I restarted the computer, pressed <Del> and went into the...BIOs thingy...the blue screen that shows PC Health Status & all that (sorry not so good with such stuff! :oops:)

Enabled all the 'Temperature exceeded', 'System Fan failure' and all that fan related warning stuff. (By the way, it was at 47' degrees...)

Saved and exited, whoa the next thing I know, or heard rather, the computer was making this looooooooong beep! To save my ears, I quickly disabled what I'd enabled earlier.

Could use a little help on this one, don't want to melt my new computer or just put myself at rest >.<

Anyone?

(Can provide photos)
ID / TD 2543
501st Singapore Garrison

al13ns
Location: roaming around Fiorina 'Fury' 161 - lookin for inmates

Post by al13ns » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:46 pm

i think u need to replace the cooling fan immediately.
it happened to my laptop, the fan stopped working, and either my processor or hardisk spoilt due to the overheated.
ImageImageImage

mosske

Post by mosske » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:02 pm

Herry's right. The fan unit is either spoilt or the connection came loose. Either way, you need to have someone take a look and maybe even replace the fan. PCs come with both fans and heatsinks but running on only either is asking for trouble. Should the motherboard heat up, your CPU or harddisk could get damaged. My advice, try not to use the PC until its sorted out.
TK4546 <BOSS>
501st Legion

Mirador

D=

Post by Mirador » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:50 pm

:cry: Oh no...Just when I'm gonna invest more in my costume - argh.

Thanks for the info anyway guys =)
ID / TD 2543
501st Singapore Garrison

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:42 pm

Some time ago, my dad/younger brother PC also have spoil fans, probably due to wear and tear all these years (some days, especially school holiday, my younger bro will keep the PC on all night to download or play games).

What he did which isn't advicable is to keep the standing fan blowing at full speed on the PC back to try to cool it down. The full solution of course is later when he did change the PC fan inside.

Mirador

Post by Mirador » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:46 pm

Haha I just got my computer in March 2008 >< but I've been guilty of switching it on at 8 AM when I wake and only off when I sleep @ 4 AM.

:oops:

Yup, I have a standing fan blowing now xD. Guess that'll do until I'm done with my costume & exams :p
ID / TD 2543
501st Singapore Garrison

al13ns

Post by al13ns » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:52 pm

i think desktop pc should be able to stand long-hour-operation compare to laptop...since u still have the warranty, just ask for the free-fan-replacement lah
ImageImageImage

Mirador

Post by Mirador » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:53 pm

;_; I got my parts from Hong Kong and had it assembled in Singapore.
ID / TD 2543
501st Singapore Garrison

hbng
Site Admin

Post by hbng » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:10 pm

Depending on which CPU you have, you can quite easily get replacement fan at Sim Lim. Make sure you get it replaced asap, or you risk overheating the CPU.

The CPU fan should always be running.....

lhs1701

Post by lhs1701 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:09 am

If your PC is already old and no longer has a warranty, consider if you want to get a fan for it. Consider if it is worth getting a new PC, depending on how old the PC is. Comex is coming at the end of this month. If PC, you can always open up the box and use and external fan. This was what I did for an old computer until I junked it.

if your PC is sufficiently new but no longer has a warranty, I guess you will need to get a new fan.

Fan is basically mechanical in nature and it wears out. Dirt gets in etc. causes additional friction and wear and tear.
Find, fix, finish

mosske

Post by mosske » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:32 am

Just bring the CPU down to Sim Lim if you aren't sure how to change the fan or check the problem. The PC shops should be able to help you. It won't cost alot. PC fans are pretty cheap and they can help you do the replacement and test on the spot. If your motherboard or CPU spoils, it will cost you ALOT more to replace.
TK4546 <BOSS>
501st Legion

Red_5

Post by Red_5 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:26 pm

yup your best bet is Sim Lim Square, fans for the PC would not cost a lot. No worries, your plans for a new armor is still a reality. :D
"The Darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities that some consider to be unnatural.....is it possible to learn those powers? YES, Not from a Jedi..."

HyBRiD

Post by HyBRiD » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:31 pm

check all fans.. the one on your cpu chip, your graphic card fan. leave side panel open and pc on to see which fan is off. replace the one u need immediately. don't forget to check your power supply fan. if none of these help, go to start menu, all programs, accessories and click command promt. when it opens up the dos screen, type - chkdsk c: /f and enter. it will promt u that it can do an intensive scan after a reboot. type Y for yes and restart pc
The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force

al13ns

Post by al13ns » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:01 pm

and don't get cheated at Sim Lim Square...i'm not really sure how much the fan would cost...
ImageImageImage

hbng
Site Admin

Post by hbng » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:59 pm

al13ns wrote:and don't get cheated at Sim Lim Square...i'm not really sure how much the fan would cost...
Depending on which CPU, some shops have excess and may cost as little as $5. IIRC, it probably cost around $20 on average

Return to “The Mos Eisley Cantina”