Ebay & Paypal in a nutshell

A wretched hive of scum and villainy . Gather here to talk about everything else , even non-Star Wars related . Just keep it PG rated please. ;)

Moderators: Paul K, hbng

Plo Strax-Avix

Ebay & Paypal in a nutshell

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:49 am

Started this thread to further any ebay/paypal or other online trading issues away from the other thread started by al13ns.
Arc_Trooper71 wrote:Oh. Plo Strax-Avix, How good is Paypal, i mean by, how reliable? Highly? Give me your feedback on that, i've never used Paypal. I've herd bad things about it from a couple of my mates where i lived.
Paypal, like all other online services, is only as good or as bad you want it to be. The system itself is neither good or bad, its the people using it who make it good or bad. One thing's for sure, paypal is there to make a profit and it woun't cheat your money, if that's what you mean.

However, being THE biggest and most popupar online payment site, they tend to be less customer friendly. If you're in the USA at least you can call them up and talk to a real person if you're having problems. But if you're outside of the USA, even with very affordable call packages its a hassle to call them, especially when you take the time difference into consideration.

Paypal is, and will be (for the forseable future), the most convenienet and the fastest way to send money through the net, and most online sellers will only accept paypal as the only form of payment.

I'm not endorsing paypal, but personally I've had no problem using it; meaning I've not had to file a claim or had someone file a claim against me. I've heard paypal can be slow to respond when you file a claim but I've also heard most people who filed a claim do get their money back if they indeed have a case.

One horror story I've come across is you may get into trouble with paypal if you receive or send money to someone who's had a long running dispute with paypal, because they'll consider you an associate of that person and freeze your account. This if the most worrying thing as far as I'm concerned because there's no way to tell if the next person you're dealing with has had problems with paypal.

Anyone else who's had any dealings with paypal/ebay or other type of online trading please do share their information so that new users can be aware of the many pitfalls of online trading.
Last edited by Plo Strax-Avix on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arc_Trooper71

Post by Arc_Trooper71 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:52 am

Ah, i see, thanks for clarifiying that! I guess you just gotta be careful with who you do your dealings with, lets hope we dont come across a Jaaba the Hutt. :lol:

al13ns
Location: roaming around Fiorina 'Fury' 161 - lookin for inmates

Post by al13ns » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:49 pm

just FYI, paypal give a very bad "exchange rate", and if u r a buyer, paypal won't charge anythin for sending money, but will charge u if u receive money. is that correct, Plo ?

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:18 pm

There're 3 types of paypal accounts: Personal, Premier, and Business.

Personal accounts can accept payment without any fees, but it can only accept payment from paypal accounts with existing funds in them, or linked to a bank account with sufficient funds for the transfer. A personal account also has a monthly withdrawl/payment limit of USD500. Also, in order to send money out from a personal paypal account, you need to link it to a bank account in a US bank. You can not send money through a credit card from a personal account.

Premier account can accept payment from all types of paypal accounts, but you get charged a fee of around 4% if you're outside of the USA(cheaper if you're based in the USA, 3% if I remember correctly). A Premier account allows you to send payment through a credit card, and has no monthly withdrawl/payment limit.

A business account is exactly like a premier account, except it is registered in the name of a company instead of an individual.

Hope that clarifies.

Some sellers may ask the buyer to pay for the paypal fee, but this can only be done if they're selling through a forum or their own website. If you state that condition in your Ebay auction, you will get your auction removed by Ebay.

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:33 am

al13ns wrote:just FYI, paypal give a very bad "exchange rate", and if u r a buyer, paypal won't charge anythin for sending money, but will charge u if u receive money.
Yes, paypal sucks when come to exchange rate ...

I once made a payment of US$550, and S$900 has been deducted from my credit card.

Then the seller to accept my Money Order, and refund me US$550.
When I received my refund of US$550, PayPal only pays me back S$850!

I lost S$50 for nothing within a couple of day!!! :evil:
May the Force Live Long & Prosper ...

Return to “The Mos Eisley Cantina”