Taiwan Quake Affect's UnderSea Cables ....

A wretched hive of scum and villainy . Gather here to talk about everything else , even non-Star Wars related . Just keep it PG rated please. ;)

Moderators: Paul K, hbng

Red_Fox2006

Taiwan Quake Affect's UnderSea Cables ....

Post by Red_Fox2006 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:06 pm

As you all might know , There's was an earthquake of about 6.7 Richter Scale.

Anyway's there are 7 dead and about 42 injured . The quake also affected the undersea Internet Cable's that are linked to Singapore and Asia itself .

Below is an article from Channel News Asia :
SINGAPORE : The earthquake in Taiwan has wrecked havoc online among thousands of internet users in Asia.

Singapore has also been affected - with major online disruptions.

Others in Southeast Asia and Hong Kong were also hit, after the quake damaged several undersea cables around Taiwan.

Service providers say the recovery process will take days, if not weeks.

If you faced difficulty accessing sites especially US-based ones, you were not alone.

Many across Asia faced the same problem too, with a long wait in downloading information from the internet.

The instant messaging service such as MSN Messenger was also down.

The reason - the earthquake off Taiwan on Tuesday night damaged the undersea cables, resulting in slow internet access to some sites.

Taiwan's largest phone company Chung-hwa Telecom said the quake which measured 6.7 on the Richter scale disrupted some 98% of Taiwan's communications capacity with Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Hong Kong.

Due to the high cost of such submarine cables, most countries co-invest in a common communications infrastructure, and this multi-billion-dollar information superhighway has now been damaged.

But service providers say it's not a complete breakdown, it just takes longer as online traffic is diverted to alternative lines.

SingTel, Southeast Asia's largest telco, says its submarine cables linking the US and Europe are not affected.

But it has set up an operations centre to monitor the situation.

"The extent of damage to the cable is extensive. We are clearly taking this on two fronts - we want to restore service on the damaged cable as soon as possible and at the same time, we are working round the clock with our consortium partners to do the traffic diversions. We think there's a good chance we can restore service as soon as possible," says Choo Pee Hin, director of Network Operations at SingTel.

The earthquake was so massive that even SingTel's backup alternative cables were knocked out.

Telephone facilities in Taiwan were also affected, including overseas calls in and out of Taiwan.

For StarHub, two of its 95 channels on its digital cable service were down since mid-day, and late Wednesday night, one of them, Channel TV5MONDE, resumed service.

"In terms of the breadth of disruption I think the largest impact was on broadband and surfing of overseas sites. It was multiple cables that were impacted and multiple companies in countries who were affected. In fact, I think pretty much everyone is impacted," says Mike Reynolds, head of Integrated Products & Marketing at StarHub.

"And when all the different cables out in the ocean are impacted, the customers will feel it. So getting them back to normal service in the shortest time is what matters."

Other providers like Pacific Internet say connectivity problems may stay for days or even weeks, while repairs are in progress.

But users can expect big improvements over the next few days.

You can still access websites based locally, like the online government portal, which are not affected as traffic does not have to be routed overseas. - CNA /ls
The above article was written By Farah Abdul Rahim on Channel NewsAsia .

Also this below article about 'Internet chaos shows system's weakness' was posted on Channel New's Asia TODAY :
SINGAPORE: The chaos in Asia's Internet service sparked by an undersea earthquake shows the region's cable network is too fragile and overly reliant on connections to the United States, industry observers have said.

Millions of people across Asia were enduring a second day without full Internet services after a 7.1-magnitude earthquake hit Taiwan late Tuesday and disturbed several massive offshore submarine cables that link Asian countries with the US and beyond.

"Instead of being so dependent on connections to North America, Asia might want to spend some money on connecting to Europe," said Ross Veitch, who set up Yahoo Southeast Asia and is now the chief products officer with travel search engine Bezurk.com.

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam and elsewhere all experienced disruptions to Internet services after the quake hit.

Veitch said the Internet was designed to be re-routed in the event of damage.

"In practice, so much traffic is funnelled through a small number of fibre-optic submarine cables. It's a lot more fragile than most people think," Veitch said from Perth, Australia, where service on his BlackBerry device was disrupted until Thursday morning.

"It's pretty bad if more than 24 hours after the incident they haven't been able to re-route traffic."

Duncan Clark, chairman of telecom consultancy BDA China, agreed there was "very little" connectivity between East Asia and Europe, while the bulk of the links were between the United States and Europe, and East Asia and the US.

"Obviously cables are inherently vulnerable to seismic activity and, quite often, dragged up by fisherman," he said from Beijing.

"It does reveal our vulnerability."

Disruption of undersea cable service should come as no surprise, said Sachin Mittal, a telecom analyst with DBS Vickers Securities in Singapore.

"I'm surprised at the magnitude of the disruption," he said.

Clark said there was a need for more efficient routing of cables – which would help lessen the impact of problems in one area – as well as development of additional capacity.

"The question is, who is going to pay for it and what is the investment climate for financing these cables, which are expensive," Clark said.

Javier Vicente Rufino, chief editor of inq7.net, the Philippines' largest news website, said this week's earthquake showed the vulnerability of his archipelago nation.

"We are dependent on a rather few number of cables," said the editor whose servers are based in the US. "Are there alternate ways of accessing the Internet? Because what it basically shows is our links to the outside are rather few."

Clark said satellite transmission was one alternative, but it was more expensive and lacked the capacity of fibre optics.

He said the investment climate soured greatly at the beginning of this decade, while the cable system had recently found itself coping with additional pressure from the surge of interest in uploading to video-sharing and similar websites.

"There's a strain, I think, on the network."

He said that aside from the steep investments required to install cables – which often led to cooperative arrangements between telecommunications firms – complicated national sovereignty issues also needed to be addressed as the cables traversed international boundaries.

"Maybe there needs to be greater international co-operation on just clarifying the rules for this kind of stuff," he said.

The quake has brought home how dependent the region has become on the Internet, and the need to improve the delivery mechanism, he and other observers said.

"We do have to pay more attention to making sure it's ... basically as reliable as electricity," said Rufino.

- AFP/so

It's very sad really . But it has to happy and this is slightly a blessing in disguise for people in Singapore and Maybe the rest of Asia .

For student's who have just finished their exams and are enjoying their holiday's and are about to near the start of school again , they get to enjoy the great outdoor's instead of needlessly wasting their precious time's on the computer .

Also for adult's who are working , they do not need to worry about their son's or daughter's wasting their time on the internet .

This is Red_Fox2006 reporting Live from Starwars.com.sg / Prague weekly / Channel News Asia
The difference between heresy and treachery is ignorance.

Faith is Eternal.

Commander_Salji

Post by Commander_Salji » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:04 pm

Hmmmm... I wonder if this could be the CAUSE of the recent SLOW Broadband Connection that I'm experiencing now!! :x :x
TR/DZ/TK/TS 2870
Outpost Founding Member and CO Emeritus

Red_Fox2006

Post by Red_Fox2006 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:05 pm

Yes it is it is .

Faith is Eternal.

Commander_Salji

Re: Taiwan Quake Affect's UnderSea Cables ....

Post by Commander_Salji » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:50 pm

Red_Fox2006 wrote:It's very sad really . But it has to happy and this is slightly a blessing in disguise for people in Singapore and Maybe the rest of Asia...
That is sheer BOLLOCKS about being a "blessing in disguise" as my job requires me to do online reseach for Fresh Inputs everyday. Not to mention other online duties in my off-time.
TR/DZ/TK/TS 2870

Red_Fox2006

Post by Red_Fox2006 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:55 pm

.. As I said ..

Slightly .

Remember slightly -_-

Anyway sheer bollocks for me too .. I have to do online stuff on the internet and have to search for location's fo several stuff .. and I have to keep in contact with several friends of mine ..

Man why did I ever post such a thing?!

Faith is Eternal.

Commander_Salji

Post by Commander_Salji » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:36 pm

Oh no worries about this INFORMATIVE announcement that you've posted.
TR/DZ/TK/TS 2870

Red_Fox2006

Post by Red_Fox2006 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:59 pm

I take that as a very bad comment -_-

Faith is Eternal.

Commander_Salji

Post by Commander_Salji » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:19 pm

Red_Fox2006 wrote:I take that as a very bad comment -_-
Take it any which way you like. I don't care what you think.
TR/DZ/TK/TS 2870

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:23 pm

gentle reminder, folks...
viewtopic.php?t=1491

Before this gets any further.... Thread Locked 8)

Return to “The Mos Eisley Cantina”