Your Reviews of Star Wars Episode 3 : Revenge of the Sith

Moderators: adamteo, dranoel

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Fri May 20, 2005 1:15 am

Yes its definately better than Ep I & II. ROTS tied up & connect the story quite well into Ep IV. The opening battles is mindblowing, reminded me of the same feeling when I first watched Ep VI in cinema back in 1983. The lightsaber fights are intense & brutal. Poor Mace Windu died so jialut!

Overall actings hv improved at least, although the love scenes btwn Anakin & Padme are still cheesy a bit. But Christensen carried himself quite well, turning into dark side. Felt sorry when he was left suffering in the fire. McDiarmid did well & almost steal the show. McGregor's acting is great & compelling too, esp the last climatic scene when he said he failed to train Anakin well, etc. The end events are emotional too. Luke & Leia are born & Padme died later. Owen & Beru holding Luke, overseeing the sun set

But I felt the story was bit rushed out. Events changes rapidly fm one to another. Anakin being lured in such a short moments. The scene at Kashyyyk is short. I wud love to see more of Chewbacca. Grievious's screen time is short too, he died too easily & cough a lot. I was also expecting to see the return of Liam Neeson, in the cameo role of Quin-Gon but apparently was deleted.

However, 3 years in waiting, ROTS does not disappoint me & I look fwd to see it again & hv more clearer picture of some scenes. (Can't seem to spot George Lucas in his cameo role)

I hope the future DVD release wl hv all deleted scences incorporated as an extended version, juz like LOTRs.
"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant, next to the power of the force"

jedi kai

Post by jedi kai » Fri May 20, 2005 3:03 am

The coming of Luke & Leia was like an NFL game... one two touchdown .... shessh ... came fast, named faster and croaked almost immediately. Probably the worst scene in EPIII.

ObiWan's skills seemed very erratic. At the start, taken out by Dooku almost instantly. Against Grevious, seemed better than even Yoda (considering how powerful Grevious was in the cartoon) and held toe-to-toe with Anakin (who single-handedly took out Dooku)... very wierd.

ObiWan's style of fighting also seemed very similar to Palpatine's during his fight with Grevious.

The whole show was still great though. Hope to catch it this weekend again.

hbng
Site Admin

Post by hbng » Fri May 20, 2005 7:05 am

Leonard wrote:.....but I somehow felt a little shortchanged that Obiwan quite easily cut off one of his hands, then another... and finally finished him off in primitive "uncivilised" laser blaster fashion... :(

Would have loved to see him engage in battle with multiple Jedi at the same time...
Yah, was expecting more action from Grievious....hopefully, either the DVD or some spin-off will provide more storyline....

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Fri May 20, 2005 11:39 am

I find it weird too that Obi-wan's skill improved so vastly, not forgetting Anakin's power hv increased toward the end with the dark side. Juz how he managed to hold on Anakin is puzzling :?:
"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant, next to the power of the force"

Post by 2501 » Fri May 20, 2005 7:55 pm

Totally unimpressed and passionately disappointed. :cry:

I have expressed my views under the thread "THE MAGIC IS DEAD"

and yes~ like u guys mentioned, the scenes were rushed and every light saber warriors in the film have erractic skills. :shock:

dooku took out obi so easily even when he was dueling both obi and ani, and yet so easily taken out by a single ani.

Hovin

Post by Hovin » Wed May 25, 2005 3:09 pm

Sad to say but I agree with you 2501.

I enjoyed the first half of the movie. The opening 20 mins of CGI battle sequence was eye candy to the max. Glorious. The friendship between Obi and Manakin was well established within the first few minutes. It was good seeing that both actors were reacting well to each other. Ian was good as Chancellor Palpatine, deliciously evil.

Then it went downhill fast. Manakin Skywalker's turn to the dark side was most unconvincing to me. It was like a lightswitch and not a journey to the darkside. Ian was good as Chancellor Palpatine until his sudden change to ULTRA B grade Ham actor as the Emperor. This time, he was far worse than he was in episode 6. I found myself laughing so much whenever the Emperor was on screen.

The lightsaber fights became more of the same. Just frentic hacking - not much skill involved. Since none of the characters in eps 1 -3 were really developed, I could not feel any attachment to any of them. In the end, I found myself no longer caring who won or who lost.

The final straw came when Darth Vader cries "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!"
That scene was so badly acted and directed that my friends and I burst out laughing in the cinema.

Well, this movie could have been alot better. On the other hand, seeing Lucas's eps 1 -2, it could have been alot worse.

If you are looking for plenty of CGI eye candy, lots of action and nothing else, episode 3 will be one hell of a movie.

If you are looking for something more, you might end up being as disappointed as I was. But then, that's just me. :wink:

As for inconsistencies with regard to Jedi and Sith skills, just a simple task to all who have watched the movie:

Rank the following Jedi and Sith in terms of power and ability -
Anakin, Mace, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, Yoda, Dooku.

I found the task close to impossible :wink:

sanjaystones

Post by sanjaystones » Wed May 25, 2005 5:43 pm

Now THIS is what you call a review.

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/reviews/filmtv_rots.htm
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?"

Return to “Star Wars Episode 3 : Revenge of the Sith”