ROTS oscar nominations?

Moderators: adamteo, dranoel

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:37 pm

e3lipse wrote:Makeup that blows.!!

ROTS is up against The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Cinderella Man for Best Make Up . To me, the make up for ROTS is light years ahead of the other two films , but I suspect that Narnia may win , because it is still doing well at the box office and still current. ROTS being out of the theatres for the past 6 months may not be fresh enough in the voters' consciousness to make an impact. :?

freefly

Post by freefly » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:25 pm

what a let down, but then it didn't actually come as a surprise knowing that Lucas isn't that well liked in the industry. oh well
Release the Good!

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:05 am

Even if ROTS doesn't win anything tis Oscar, what matters to Lucas is the box office success for 2005 & its merchandise. How often hv u guys watch a Oscar winner film. Most of the best picture films are quite boring, except for few like Saving Pte Ryan & LOTR 3. Maybe I'm not that artistic enough, I don't think I wl watch that Lee Ang film. I prefer Jet Li's Fearless :wink:
"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant, next to the power of the force"

Dr EMH

Post by Dr EMH » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:19 am

Tomcat wrote:I don't think I wl watch that Lee Ang film...
another gay film ... *sigh*
May the Force Live Long & Prosper ...

dranoel
Site Admin

Post by dranoel » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:15 am

danchia wrote: ROTS is up against The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Cinderella Man for Best Make Up . To me, the make up for ROTS is light years ahead of the other two films , but I suspect that Narnia may win , because it is still doing well at the box office and still current. ROTS being out of the theatres for the past 6 months may not be fresh enough in the voters' consciousness to make an impact. :?
Daniel predicted correctly :(

The results just out: ROTS lost out to Narnia :cry:

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:17 am

Result juz in for best makeup.....the award goes to The Chronicles of Narnia.... ROTS did not make it :cry:
"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant, next to the power of the force"

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:45 am

I'm proven right, but I'm not happy. Shucks :cry:

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:26 am

I'm also not happy overall as I think ROTS shud at least be nominated for best visual effect, even if it may still lose to Kong,

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:41 am

Tomcat wrote:I'm also not happy overall as I think ROTS shud at least be nominated for best visual effect, even if it may still lose to Kong,

Sigh . These Academy Awards are starting to be laughable . In fact, I almost can't be bothered about them any more.

The past few years have seen soooooo many awards going to less worthy winners, who only got the awards for politically correct reasons, or because there was just better marketing for those films for the Oscars.

George Lucas ain't too popular with the rest of Hollywood, because he works so differently from the rest of the industry, and nobody likes a non-conformist.

I'm disappointed by the nominations list, and of course the result of the voting, but I am not surprised.

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:47 pm

Danchia, I agree with you!

Lee Ang won best directing, tat indeed an honour for us Asian! But "Brokeback Mountain" did not win overall best film, which goes to "Crush". I'm not surprised by this result too.

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:54 pm

danchia wrote:
George Lucas ain't too popular with the rest of Hollywood, because he works so differently from the rest of the industry, and nobody likes a non-conformist.
I don't think GL will mind abt this. As i said b4, what most matters is that he earns many times more than all the academy winners.

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:42 am

On the contrary, I think that GL would mind. My reasons -

1. First of all, if he didn't care, he wouldn't even bother to submit and/or lobby to be nominated in the first place.

2. A nomination (and especially if won) is a nod by the Academy and people respected in that particular industry that the nominee / winner is recognised in the field that they have achieved excellence in. This in turn usually means monetary returns. Face it, whether you like the Oscars or not, whether you agree with the results or not, pple want to win not just for the sake of the winning but with the prestige that goes along with winning.

3. This is especially so with the technical awards, art direction, visual effects, sound and so on. A win in these categories is usually an assurance / certification of quality that would get the industry to sit up take notice and go back to these companies to get the same work done. This is why ILM were top in the market for every single project after their win for Jurassic Park.

4. Usually, when a movie wins something, it usually also means additional box office, so people DO want to win. Box office because pple now want to return to watch the film again or to get the subsequent video and thereby ensuring a longer shelf life as well.

5. Maybe I'm a cynic but in my view, the prequels was as much about the movies / fans as well as a show case for ILM and digital cinema which GL was trying very hard to push. Therefore, a win in these technical categories would also be an endorsement of his particular form of filmmaking for which he would want ILM to be in the forefront and to herald for the future.

Accordingly, I respectfully submit that GL may in fact be disappointed with the non-wins albeit the box office numbers had put him in a zone of financial comfort for the immediate future but being the financial and industry wizard that he is I further submit that GL wants to ensure financial returns for more than just the immediate future.

No offense intended - if offence taken I apologise in advance.

Boss Nass: "PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEACE!!!"
Warning - viewer discretion advised

Return to “Star Wars Episode 3 : Revenge of the Sith”