UPDATED: Lucas talks new Old Republic movies

Moderators: adamteo, dranoel

bobafett81

UPDATED: Lucas talks new Old Republic movies

Post by bobafett81 » Sat May 28, 2005 3:04 am

Websites like Cinescape and now all over the internet are running rumors today that Lucas is thinking about making more Star Wars movies - perhaps even an Old Republic movie set some thousand years before the current films. Don't give in to the hype, at the best these are very sketchy and probably not trustworthy. Here's a clip from one of the reports, supposedly from a conversation in 2004.

He said, that if he did ever do another storyline.... that he would do when the Jedi regained control of the universe from the Dark Lords (there were many of them) 800 years before PHANTOM MENACE. And a young Jedi named Yoda was instrumental in the effort.

We would love to be wrong and in a few years be talking about the next Star Wars film, but for now we'll just remind people that Lucas himself has said this is the last Star Wars movie and it is time to move on. Perhaps some feel he is now "getting it right" with Revenge of the Sith and are hungry for more, but we say don't get your hopes up to high just to be dissapointed.

Lucas has the ability to change his mind and make more movies, for sure. He could hand off the franchise to capable directors to see their visions in the Star Wars universe be realized. We just think that the rumor mill is spinning a bit too much and wanted to start damage control before it gets too far out of hand.

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/stor ... _92928.asp

bobafett81

Post by bobafett81 » Sat May 28, 2005 7:58 pm

Lucas Talks Pre-Phantom Menace Movie

OK, so we're still skeptical, but apparently the rumors about a pre-Episode I Star Wars film by Lucas himself somewhat have a leg to stand on. On the heels of the second weekend in theaters for the madly successful Revenge of the Sith comes loose talk from the creator himself about the future of Star Wars.

William Ellis chimes in with the first word on the subject:

Well, it surprises me that TFN and other sites didn't report what Lucas said at the 2nd session at C3. He was asked by a fan "Is there any chance of us ever seeing movies in the Knights of the Old Republic Era?"

His response? "Well, we have a TV series and an animated series and depending how those do, this is something we might someday visit ... but it's too far out to really commit to anything."

I posted on your forums and the official forums and it seemed to be ignored but I heard it, and 3 friends heard it and my wife heard the same thing. I know I wasn't imagining things.

Then Mark confirms the action with this follow-up:

Josh - saw your post on this and though I'd throw my 2 cents in...

Lucas, very quickly and very briefly touched on this in his second
presentation at C3. I think everyone got caught up in the TV news, but he did respond to a question about allowing other directors to make more Star Wars movies and commented that this was under consideration and that this era in particular was one that he had in mind. Nothing set in stone, but he did make it sound as if it were more possible than not.

Former TFN Staffer Chris also heard this quote and makes an observation about it as well:

Lisa and I were in the second session too. So was a friend of mine from Texas and she heard the same thing about an "old Old Republic" project being a possibility. But I wouldn't read too much into it: it seemed more like an idle thought that he was just bandying about after the questioner posed it to him.

Interesting. Again, don't celebrate just yet ... but anything is possible, which is more than we could say a week ago. Stay tuned.

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Sat May 28, 2005 10:05 pm

Personally, I would love to see George Lucas do another Star Wars film, but maybe he could turn the writing and directing reins to a younger writer/director , and he could just remain the overseer of his Star Wars universe .

It was said that in Empire Strikes Back , other than writing the story , he literally took a back seat and allowed director Irvin Kershner to do his magic . Apart from viewing the daily rushes and occasionally dropping by the set and looking through the viewfinder of the camera , he never interfered with Irvin Kershner's vision.

It would really be interesting to see what a new, younger, more dynamic director could add to the Star Wars saga....

Post by 2501 » Sun May 29, 2005 5:04 pm

HE SHOULD NEVER COME CLOSE TO A CAMERA EVER!

however, he should spend lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and hire a REAL writer and a REAL director.

Lord_Angelus

Post by Lord_Angelus » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:46 am

hmmm... story on young yoda?

Return to “Star Wars Episode 3 : Revenge of the Sith”