EPIII Soundtrack

Moderators: adamteo, dranoel

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » Wed May 11, 2005 12:20 pm

Check out a review of the soundtrack here if you want more details about the content, or if you need to convince yourself why you want to buy this.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/610/610879p1.html
"The big advantage of using a lightsaber, of course, is that you can both cut and toast the bagel in one stroke."
--From 'How Lightsaber Works' on Howstuffworks.com
http://gremspot.blogspot.com

jedi kai

Post by jedi kai » Sat May 14, 2005 11:57 am

hmmm.... <look into mirror & wave hand> ... I will buy the soundtrack....

Gandalf Fett

Misplaced?

Post by Gandalf Fett » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:29 am

This thread has been pretty quiet but it seems pretty appropriate for my question. I was just listening to the Ep III soundtrack again recently and something that never quite sat right with me struck me again with curiosity that was never answered.

Can someone please explain to me why at the end of the end theme, the celebration march of Episode IV was featured as part of the theme / soundtrack in Episode III when and where that theme was never used anywhere else in Episode III and was not appropriate for the feel and mood of Episode III anyway!?!?!?!?

Anyone!?!?!?!
Warning - viewer discretion advised

danchia
Site Admin

Re: Misplaced?

Post by danchia » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:04 am

Gandalf Fett wrote:This thread has been pretty quiet but it seems pretty appropriate for my question. I was just listening to the Ep III soundtrack again recently and something that never quite sat right with me struck me again with curiosity that was never answered.

Can someone please explain to me why at the end of the end theme, the celebration march of Episode IV was featured as part of the theme / soundtrack in Episode III when and where that theme was never used anywhere else in Episode III and was not appropriate for the feel and mood of Episode III anyway!?!?!?!?

Anyone!?!?!?!

I feel your pain and frustration , gandalf . :D

I must admit that of all the 6 films, EPIII was the one soundtrack that I have been least excited about . The soundtracks to the classic trilogy are to me the most superb examples of what film music should be , with their wonderful themes and leitmotifs which still bring a shiver down my spine every time I listen to them .

EPI had Duel of the Fates , which was a beautiful piece, but to me, not quite on par with the beauty of the leitmotifs of the classic trilogy . I don't remember the EPII music much, but frankly, I have not even listened to the soundtrack album of EPIII at all, unlike the previous movies where I would listen constantly to the album as I drove back and from work.

Somehow the music from EPIII did not make much impression on me.

I found your question very interesting, gandalf , and must admit that I was not even aware that the celebration march of Episode IV was featured as part of the theme / soundtrack in Episode III . Let me do some research....
Last edited by danchia on Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:52 am

OK, I did some research on the internet , and I found this review from www.jwfan.net which may shed some light on your query , gandalf.

Reviewer Roald van der Laan wrote a detailed and glowing review of the EPIII soundtrack , and made me feel that perhaps I really should sit down and give the soundtrack a good listen. As for the use of the celebration march theme , was this the Throne Room theme from EPIV that you were referring to ? If it is, then here is Roald's take on it.
Track 15. A NEW HOPE AND END CREDITS
A o­ne minute and a half finale? How can that be good? IT IS! In fact of all the Star Wars finales I may enjoy this o­ne the most! It is basically Leia’s Theme, Luke’s Theme and The Force Theme played in a short time, but the orchestration is dead-on perfect! The very A New Hope like performance of Luke’s Theme, the beautiful performance of the Force Theme. Magic. The End Credits are great too! Luke’s Theme, Leia’s Theme, Battle Of The Heroes and The Throne Room. The Throne Room happens to be my favorite music of all time, but besides that, it’s inclusion DOES make sense. Episode III is not a film about despair, about a horrible ending, it is a film about hope. The birth of the twins is an essential part of it. The Throne Room is a majestic version of the Force Theme and it suggests that after all that has happened in this film the Force, the light side, the good guys if you will, WILL prevail. It leads perfectly to the next Episode which is rightfully called A New Hope. Even The Empire Strikes Back, a film that is regarded as a dark, relentless film end with Luke’s Theme.
Would love to hear your comments on this....

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:44 am

Well, that's ONE take on it but if you will note, the throne room theme was only ever played in that one scene (but please correct me if I am wrong) in the entire Original Trilogy and I don't remember it being used anywhere else except in Ep III - which seemed completely out-of-place to me because:

1. The end theme usually, like an overture in an operatic piece, would contain bits and pieces or signature pieces of the music used in that particular piece and the throne room scene (throne room is the one right at the end where Han and Luke got their reward and ends the movie right?) music was not used in Episode III;

2. Yes, the end of Episode III will lead into Episode IV and describes hope as the final shots were all focused on Luke and Leia (the future and the hope that they represent) but it does not reference the future success or destruction of the empire. By that rationale, wouldn't the end ewok theme be more appropriate? Even if not, then Luke and Leia's theme should end it and not the throne room right?

3. Episode III was really about Vader, heck, the entire trilogy has now been focused on the story of Vader instead, that being the case, shouldn't the end title music be about Vader then? The full imperial march or something else that has anything to do with Vader would probably be more appropriate wouldn't it? That was how Episode I ended isn't it? With a hint of what's to come with the play on the Imperial March hinting at things to come?

What do you think?

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:01 pm

Gandalf Fett wrote:Well, that's ONE take on it but if you will note, the throne room theme was only ever played in that one scene (but please correct me if I am wrong) in the entire Original Trilogy and I don't remember it being used anywhere else except in Ep III - which seemed completely out-of-place to me because:

1. The end theme usually, like an overture in an operatic piece, would contain bits and pieces or signature pieces of the music used in that particular piece and the throne room scene (throne room is the one right at the end where Han and Luke got their reward and ends the movie right?) music was not used in Episode III;

2. Yes, the end of Episode III will lead into Episode IV and describes hope as the final shots were all focused on Luke and Leia (the future and the hope that they represent) but it does not reference the future success or destruction of the empire. By that rationale, wouldn't the end ewok theme be more appropriate? Even if not, then Luke and Leia's theme should end it and not the throne room right?

3. Episode III was really about Vader, heck, the entire trilogy has now been focused on the story of Vader instead, that being the case, shouldn't the end title music be about Vader then? The full imperial march or something else that has anything to do with Vader would probably be more appropriate wouldn't it? That was how Episode I ended isn't it? With a hint of what's to come with the play on the Imperial March hinting at things to come?

What do you think?

I agree with you, totally, on all 3 points .

Here's my take on it. John Williams , maybe even on the instigation of George Lucas , realised the Episode III was the final Star Wars film that would be released, and wanted to end the music on a triumphant , celebratory note , and what better way than to reprise the symphonic ending of the very first Star Wars film .

Yeah, I realise that this would not make any sense musically when you line the 6 films in order from episode I to VI, but my gut feeling is that both John Williams and George Lucas just wanted to end the 6 films with a flourish using the familiar Throne Room theme , even though episodically, they were still mired right in the middle of the saga.

What do you think ?

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:55 pm

Or could it be just plain laziness?

Because ole GL had already mentioned numerous that Ep III is going to be dark - very dark. Bring tissues he said, so that just doesn't gel with the whole intention to end on a celebratory note because GL also said that the entire saga is really about Darth Vader now and technically, Ep VI had already duly done the entire celebratory thinghie for the saga.

Or are we left with no alternative but to chalk this up as another unanswerable problem with SW?

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:08 pm

Perhaps not so much laziness as the aged John Williams having too full a platter , what with the scoring of Harry Potter 4 ( he's had to pass that to Patrick Doyle ) , Memoirs of a Geisha , War of the Worlds etc etc etc .

He probably did not think through it enough, and Geoge Lucas should have given him tighter direction....

BobaFett

Post by BobaFett » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:08 pm

I love the bonus DVD. But I wish the PQ could be better.

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:04 am

danchia wrote:He probably did not think through it enough, and Geoge Lucas should have given him tighter direction....
That's probably it.... but isn't that just sad?

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:20 am

Gandalf Fett wrote:
danchia wrote:He probably did not think through it enough, and Geoge Lucas should have given him tighter direction....
That's probably it.... but isn't that just sad?

The final notes culminating a symphonic journey that took 28 years to complete ..... and this was it .

It is sad , gandalf . :(

Gandalf Fett

Post by Gandalf Fett » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:06 am

Well said Dan. Very well said.

sithlordcbw

star wars music rox!

Post by sithlordcbw » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:54 pm

haf every Star Wars soundtrack CD (s).

episode i was quite boring...except for Duel of the Fates...

episode ii was good...with 'Across the Stars' and 'Chase through Coruscant'...

episode iii was very goodd...with 'Battle of the Heroes', 'Anakin vs Obi-Wan', 'Grievous speaks to Lord Sidious', and 'Anakin's Dream'...

episode iv...'the throne room' was my favourite...

episode v...'the imperial march' and 'han solo and the princess' were my fav...

episode vi...'Emperor's Throne Room' and 'Luke and Leia' and 'Light of the Force' were fantastic...

and not to forget the bonus DVD that came with Episode III soundtrack...
after a while will become extinct, like episode i and ii, very hard to find in sg...
If you're not with me,

then you're my enemy.

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:12 pm

Great capsule reviews of all 6 scores, sithlordcbw !

Oh, and gandalf .... I forgot to post this.... have been meaning to . In the theatrical release of Revenge of the Sith , the Throne Room theme is NOT part of the end title score.

I think the end title score in the OST album was an expanded version.

Does anyone have the DVD yet? Can you verify that the Throne Room theme was not part of the end titles?

Return to “Star Wars Episode 3 : Revenge of the Sith”