I nd a guyz opinion here...

Moderators: adamteo, dranoel

jemDconqueror

I nd a guyz opinion here...

Post by jemDconqueror » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:25 am

Okae, much as we love our movies and complete trilogy, I was wonderin...Who tot dis film was a little too corny...Lyk the line from Padme: "Anakin, you're breakin' my heart!!!" ??????????????????
"Join me, and together we shall rule the galaxy as one!"

Impulse

Post by Impulse » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:07 pm

When I first watch ROTS, it's quite a lot of tiny holes here and there. It's too fast IMO. (e.g. anakin so fast turn evil...maybe that's why his name is a-na-kin{hokkien}{why so fast})
These holes must be filled with comics, novels, and data from the net.
But casual viewers will not do that, and they think it's not very good to some.

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:34 pm

That's why really die-hard SW fans discounts the Prequels and concentrates on the OT...

Lucas made the OT with all his heart, sould and every fibre of his being. The Perquels are juts to make money.

freefly

Post by freefly » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:37 am

Again it's a matter of [differing] opinions. I feel Anakin's fall to the dark side is very well planned from day one. There're a lot of telltale signs of him being unable to let go of things & those he love, in all the PT; eg. his unwilling departure from his mum (him not wanting things to change), his refusal to abandon [temporarily] padme on Geonosis, his insistence on rescuing obi-wan from the buzz droids.

In TPM, there's a foreshadowing of Anakin's fall in Yoda's now-famous line on fear. Anakin is fearful of losing the ones he love; and his penchant for forming attachments (eg. padme) doesnt help either. I think it's a stroke of genius on Lucas' part for shmi to die in AOTC, fuelling anakin's desire for power to protect the ones he love. "I wasnt strong enough to protect you, but I promise I wont fail again" is very loaded & telling.

For me when anakin woke up from his nightmare of padme's death in ROTS, it is the defining moment of his journey to the dark side. "I wont fail again". There's no doubt at all that anakin would do whatever it takes & coupled it with the opera scene with palpatine, I'd say Lucas presented a very solid (& believable) cause for anakin's fall. Pure genius.

And btw, the PT is not an excuse for Lucas to make more $$. He's loaded enough as it is. If he had wanted to, the prequels would probably turn out the way most fanboys wanted it to be. Instead it is classical story of how a good person can turn evil. He broke all conventions by starting the star wars saga with the journey of a young innocent boy (anakin) who believes "the biggest problem in this universe is no one helps each other."

The star wars saga has never been praised for it's 'stellar' dialogue. So I'm fine with all the campy exchanges btw anakin & padme. It makes it all the more interesting... :P
Release the Good!

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:22 am

freefly wrote:And btw, the PT is not an excuse for Lucas to make more $$. He's loaded enough as it is.
No Lucas didn't get much out of the OT. Everyone knows the money from ticket sales of the movies are really peanuts compared to the money from merchandise and licensing fees. For the OT Lucas hardly got anything from merchandise and licensing fees because the fanboys were making much better props then the licensed manufcturers, due to the fact that most, if not all the props in the OT were made of found part, and Lucas can't sue anyone for using found parts to make props.He can't copyright found parts either, because he didn't design them.

That's most of the props in the PT were custom designed and built by ILM, or only exist in CG.

Also the merchandise produced and sold during the OT were really toys, and not collectibles, and as such catered to kids who played with them, and therefore they couldn't be sold for a high price. Even the early licensed props produced by companies like Icons & Illusive Concepts went for a fraction of what MR and Sideshow products are selling for nowadays, going to show how little Lucas was charging for licensing fees.

And Lucas didn't make the PT the way fanboys want it because he wrote the story before fanboys even existed. He just couldn't make the PT earlier due to technical restrictions. So when technology finally caught up with his vision he would of course want to stay true to his original work, and not let fanboys dictate how the story goes. But he did everything else to make sure that he got the most out of the OT, and not people who resale the merchandise on the open market like what happened with merchandise from the OT.

Lucas made a lot more money by using ILM to make movies for other people then he ever did from the OT.

freefly

Post by freefly » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:13 pm

And Lucas didn't make the PT the way fanboys want it because he wrote the story before fanboys even existed. So when technology finally caught up with his vision he would of course want to stay true to his original work, and not let fanboys dictate how the story goes.
Lucas made the OT with all his heart, sould and every fibre of his being. The Perquels are juts to make money.
That's why really die-hard SW fans discounts the Prequels and concentrates on the OT...
Not intending to be nitpicky or offensive, but I think you missed my point. Yes, Lucas had story treatments for the PT, but these "original works"are merely in the form of backstories & outlines; ie obi-wan trains anakin, anakin turns to the dark side, outbreak of clone wars. The original drafts has no concept of the midichlorians, separatist movement, or even the compelling reason that anakin turns to the dark side because of his love for padme, a capacity (for love) which ultimately lead to his redemption. Most of the important details were still fluid then; Lucas only began writing the main bulk of the PT story and plotlines in 1994.

There's a lot of accusations that the PT is merely a cash cow to make more $ and that's not true. If it were so, Lucas would have crafted the PT to begin with events of AOTC then ROTS and followed by lots of vader action during the Jedi Purge (an alternative many fanboys prefer). Lucas instead decided to begin the story of anakin skywalker as a 9 year old boy, a decision made late in the game which further enhanced the element of tradegy but one that has no commercial viability.

Lucas did not invest 10 years of his life in the PT b'cause of the advancement of SFX technology alone or his desire to reap more $ from the sw community (the return investment from pre-PT days is enough to sustain a luxurious life). Neither did he NOT put in his whole heart. Lucas stated in an interview that his reason for revisiting the sw saga is ultimately to flesh out the tragic story of vader. That hints at a very personal reason for the creation of the PT. And he did it extremely well too (aside from the campy dialogues expected of sw movies, OT inclusive). So I find it hard to fathom how DIE-HARD sw fans could discount the PT, other than the fact that it didnt turn out the way they wanted it or EXPECTED it to.
Release the Good!

Plo Strax-Avix

Post by Plo Strax-Avix » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:32 pm

freefly wrote:So I find it hard to fathom how DIE-HARD sw fans could discount the PT, other than the fact that it didnt turn out the way they wanted it or EXPECTED it to.
One word: Discrepancies

freefly

Post by freefly » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:35 pm

That's a good enough reason. Though i cant think of anything major which cant be easily explained or ignored :) Perhaps the most tricky ones are those involving conversations btw ben, luke & the droids, and those about padme. But they dont bother me much cause I've pretty much reasoned it out (without the EU).
Release the Good!

Impulse

Post by Impulse » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:46 pm

The EU are causing me lots of headaches (expanded until like A lvl so many things) and heartache (in terms of money). :lol:

jemDconqueror

Post by jemDconqueror » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:18 am

soe...wads e verdict? o_o

jemDconqueror

Post by jemDconqueror » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:20 am

mae nt soun lyk much... bt e classics were real nice cuz of e indebt acting...it seems dat e new movies juz rely on spec effects but shallow acting sequences and scripts...

assjedi

Post by assjedi » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:10 pm

to me ian mcdiarmid and mcgregor and liam neeson all did good.

hayden is abit wooden i should say. but does well as vader in ROTS

and not forgetting miss portman. she's done well. but i do not like her in ROTS.
"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
"I'm not a Jedi. I'm just a man with a lightsaber... and a few questions.."
http://www.fightsaber.com/

Return to “Star Wars Episode 3 : Revenge of the Sith”