Why C-3PO memories need to be cleared?

Moderators: adamteo, dranoel

Xavier

Why C-3PO memories need to be cleared?

Post by Xavier » Thu May 19, 2005 11:55 pm

Near to the end of the show Bail ordered Antilles to clear C-3PO's memories. If is for the protection of baby Luke and Leia, why only C-3PO and not R2-D2 too?

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Fri May 20, 2005 12:26 am

I guess they thought C3PO might disclose the truth to others....u know he's quite talkative, whereas R2 does not speak human language & can keep secrets better.
"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant, next to the power of the force"

Haldir

Post by Haldir » Fri May 20, 2005 12:27 am

He's more "naive"/simple-minded and talk too much, compared to R2. R2 is very independent, can't talk like human and very good at keeping secrets.

Then again, R2 could had gotten a Mind Wipe too but thru' faults, Lucas forget to include that little bit. :?

Lord_Angelus

Post by Lord_Angelus » Fri May 20, 2005 12:41 am

Becuase C3PO and R2D2 Were the closes to them

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Fri May 20, 2005 12:52 am

I am watching "A New Hope while posting this message. In EP4 C-3PO seems to have forgotten who Obi-Wan is during the search on Tatooine, maybe thats the link.

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Fri May 20, 2005 1:23 am

Xavier wrote:In EP4 C-3PO seems to have forgotten who Obi-Wan is during the search on Tatooine, maybe thats the link.
But R2 shud recognise Obi-wan, that's the real trick, he can't talk!
"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant, next to the power of the force"

donleow

Post by donleow » Fri May 20, 2005 3:02 am

Tomcat wrote:I guess they thought C3PO might disclose the truth to others....u know he's quite talkative, whereas R2 does not speak human language & can keep secrets better.
so now it make sense to me why R2D2 and C3PO did not recognize the aged obi wan in the new hope episode. Also for the above explanation, true for C3PO but he has to be muffled due to the fact he is a relation cyborg built by anakin and later serving padame and the true fact that they both witness the birth of the twin luke and leia which obi and the gang have been trying to hide the truth ( recalled the part when there is a closeup shot still showing padame's pregnant body during the burial)

As for R2D2, i however disagree that both Jedi and Sith are able to interpret language code of the droid which shows in almost all the epsiode that most of the characters are able to dicpher the language and even communicate back and fro with the droids.

The more realistic answer is that similar to jedi temple that host the security camera and recordings...R2D2 might be equipped with the capability of recording which we have seen it in THE NEW HOPE where leia have placed a record in it and off it goes as a mail pigeon alike kind of messenger.

However, if i am the one owning the droids and could post a threat , I will do so by wiping out their memories too to safeguard my secret which i believe even in present days, people are doing their computers wiping out the hdd to safeguard their info and identity...is logical afterall.

sanjaystones

Post by sanjaystones » Fri May 20, 2005 8:31 am

R2D2's memory was not wiped. So it knew everything about everyone but didn't tell anyone about it because it was too tragic.

However, I don't buy the explaination that Obi-Wan can forget R2D2 so easily in 20 years after all the stuff it had done.
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?"

lewdini

Post by lewdini » Fri May 20, 2005 9:38 am

C3P0s memory was wiped so that the knowledge about the existence of the twins would not beable to be extracted from him.
Obi-Wan never owned R2. There are also a lot of other R2 units that look exactly like R2-D2
3 3/4 Completist!

Return to “Star Wars Episode 3 : Revenge of the Sith”