Which theatre is the best place to see Episode 3 ?

Moderators: adamteo, dranoel

danchia
Site Admin

Which theatre is the best place to see Episode 3 ?

Post by danchia » Tue May 10, 2005 11:58 am

Your reviews of the theatres at which you saw Episode 3 ..... which ones had the best screen and sound system. Which theatres should we AVOID at all cost ?

donleow

Post by donleow » Tue May 10, 2005 6:26 pm

the best cinema will be considered for eng wah cinema at suntec city beside the ROCK..

my rating as follows out of 10:

tickets availability: 9/10 ( got almost all the tickets for blockbuster including EP1 n EP2 and LOTR trilogy on a weekend )

Airconditioning : 9/10 ( strong suggest those who are afraid of cold to bring a cartigan or a jacket)

Drinks and snacks: 8/10
Drinks here are always freshly served and carbonated ...can;t imagine u get coke is not decarbonated which already spoil the fun ( bugis cinema)- worst u can get for a softdrink, popcorn is good and fresh as always , hotdogs -okie for a quick bite if not then sneak in snacks from carrefour basement)

Seats: 9/10
Most comfortable seat almost on par with cinelesiure seat which is always clean and comfortable n not forgetting there are no leftover spill which is a plus for me although i m not a clean freak but i cannot accept spill on the floor like golden village which makes the floor slimy and uncomfortable

sound effect: 8/10
Design of cinema is a constraint as it is build on the 3rd floor of the complex making it a hanging jukebox that amplifies the sound through the thin wall but overall works well on SDDS and Dohlby Digital.

Visual: 8/10
good overall with no darkspot on the white synethic screening cloth like we seen in lido. This is especially important when the show comes in digital format that clearity counts

Punctuality: 10/10
always punctual and might be disadvantage to some who like to be late but for me i like to be punctual and also enjoy seeing the previews of new upcoming cinema, not many advertisement like golden village which is always late and bundle with tonnes of repeated commercials ( give GV 1/10 for that as they can last approximately 30mins of commercial before the show starts)

overall is an enjoyable cinema to patronize and worth every cent u spend on a movie in this cinema...it is a total satisfying experience for me

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Tue May 10, 2005 8:45 pm

Wah .... good review, Don .... makes me feel sick knowing that I have to see Episode 3 for the first time at GV Grand .... sigh .

donleow wrote:
Visual: 8/10
good overall with no darkspot on the white synethic screening cloth like we seen in lido. This is especially important when the show comes in digital format that clearity counts

By the way, there is a dark spot on the left side of Cathay's digital screen too , Hall 5 Orchard Cineleisure , and when I complained to the management, I was told that nothing could be done about it because someone had thrown coca cola at the screen ! :shock:

My point to them was that it was a THX certified hall , but along the way, it had long lost the quality of the THX certification, and they should do something to upgrade it , but the manager said it was " too expensive " . :roll:

So much for THX quality. Sigh.....

jedi kai

Post by jedi kai » Tue May 10, 2005 11:01 pm

With the ticket price hikes, the cinema managements better make sure their cinemas are kept clean for every movie seating... :evil:

BobaFett

Post by BobaFett » Wed May 11, 2005 5:35 am

I will be catching it in Galaxy Cinema in Ontario.

The sound system and picture quality is superb. IMO, no cinemas in SG which I had went so far comes close to the experience which I had last week watching "House of Wax".

The DLP and sound system is simply awesome. 8) :shock:

Danchia, fly over to Ontario and I promised you the best experience watching EP3. :lol:

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Wed May 11, 2005 8:39 am

BobaFett wrote:I will be catching it in Galaxy Cinema in Ontario.

The sound system and picture quality is superb. IMO, no cinemas in SG which I had went so far comes close to the experience which I had last week watching "House of Wax".
The DLP and sound system is simply awesome. 8) :shock:
Are you mocking us, Boba Fett ? :cry: :evil:
Danchia, fly over to Ontario and I promised you the best experience watching EP3. :lol:
Sure , no problem, as long as you send me the airplane ticket . Fedex is best . I'll be waiting excitedly ! :D :wink:

BobaFett

Post by BobaFett » Wed May 11, 2005 11:45 am

Are you mocking us, Boba Fett ? :cry: :evil:

Sure , no problem, as long as you send me the airplane ticket . Fedex is best . I'll be waiting excitedly ! :D :wink:
Airplane? Nah.

I had already hijack Han Solo's Millennium Falcon and command Chewie to fly to Singapore and pick you up at your doorstep. :wink:

donleow

Post by donleow » Wed May 11, 2005 3:08 pm

O that is definitely a good a cinema complex and last heard new cineplex in Milton, ontario are on its way. i been to the older cinema operate in Cambridge and Niagara square which is equally good...where i seen constantine and Incredibles while i was travelling there for work.

HanLucas

Post by HanLucas » Sat May 21, 2005 5:50 pm

is it true that only GV Marina has digital screening???

In terms of screen GV grand has the largest screen right?? :wink:

danchia
Site Admin

Post by danchia » Sat May 21, 2005 6:21 pm

I saw EP3 at Hall 6 GV Grand on opening night , and on the digital screen at Hall 6 GV Marina the next day.

Hall 6 GV Grand was a really huge hall , and I would advise that you sit right in the centre about 8 rows from the front. The print at GV Grand was a little glitchy, with interruptions in the sound track at least twice during the duration of the film, but the screen was very clear with good details of definition and colour reproduction. I enjoyed the screening here, EXCEPT that the projectionist ended the end titles prematurely much to the chagrin of the 100 odd people who stayed back for the end titles. I guess the projectionist wanted to go home as it was 1.30am.

Hall 6 Digital screen at GV Marina was a much smaller hall, and the seats are also a lot more uncomfortable with much less room. I was really looking forward to the digital experience but was a little disappointed. The sound quality was about the same as GV Grand, except that there were no glitches in the sound at GV Marina. I had expected the Digital projection to be amazing, after all, EP3 was filmed entirely digitally. True, the colours at GV Marina digital were much brighter, with good contrast and solid blacks , but surprisingly, I felt that definition was not as good as the screen at GV Grand. During the very busy opening space battle scenes, the projection at GV Grand was crisp, clear, and I could make out little details. The Digital projection over at GV Marina , however , was surprisingly less clear , with obvious pixelation especially in the busiest of scenes with fast moving images . I also felt that the images at GV Grand looked more natural , even with the slight grain , whereas the digital image at GV Marina was a little too artificial for my liking.

Some directors including Steven Spielberg do not like the digital format for this very reason. They feel that real film gives a more organic feel to the pictures, as opposed to the digital medium, and this was the first time where I felt that they may be right.

In summary , I preferred the experience at GV Grand, inspite of the sound glitches.

Just one more note..... whatever you do, avoid Hall 1 at Lido Shaw Plaza at Balestier. Huge screen, satisfactory sound system with great surround and a surprising ooomph to the bass sound , BUT the screen image was horrendous. It was muddy, far too dark, no contrast with at least a 30% drop in image definition. The colours were far too muted with a yellow tinge, and it felt like I was watching an illegal VCD ! Part of the problem may lie in poor print reproduction, but I felt that it had been a pure waste of the $9.50 I paid to watch the film there. AVOID at all cost !

Return to “Star Wars Episode 3 : Revenge of the Sith”